I must admit to losing ground due to being knocked out for most of this week by the worst virus I’ve had in years! But I made some progress this weekend.
This style is really simple; it’s just a basic sheath with kimono sleeves. The instructions say to sew the skirt, and then attach the upper bodice. Instead, I plan to sew both front and back together with one long side seam from the hem right to the end of each sleeve – just like a knit shirt. One reason for this change is that it makes it easier to get the necklines to meet perfectly in the center both front and back, and the zipper would be much easier to install and finish. I also had to modify the construction for the upcoming applique seam
So here’s where I am – this is the interior back of the dress with the finished invisible zipper, installed with Els’ method of course. The edges of the zipper tape and the seams are finished with rayon seam binding machine stitched to the seam allowance and hand fell stitched to the organza underlining.
Els also recommended that I stabilize the neckline, which I did with a piece of seam binding stitched just inside the seam allowance.. So here is the back interior, from top to bottom:
This is the back neckline. There will be a fashion fabric facing hand fell stitched to the organza.
This is the middle – I used a small piece of leather to hide the cut end of the zipper.
And this is the finished seam at the back slit.
The hard parts are over; the front is simpler than the back. The party is December 14; so far so good, deadline-wise!