There is a lot of stress on v-necklines such as this – those that have a center front seam. I reinforced this area with a small square of Stay Tape on both sides. Sew-In Sheer would work well too as would organza. You want something that is lightweight, yet very strong, to handle the stress.
From the photograph on the pattern it appears that this dress has a simple v-neck. Not so! It is actually a standing collar that is constructed much like a shawl collar. Please excuse the fuzzy photos – I should have checked them before moving on.
Many times when we simply serge long drapey seams on knits they draw up and make our garment look cheap. I often sew a plain seam with a small zigzag (.5mm width, 2mm length). The zigzag builds in some stretch and allows the seam to hang nicely. Then I simply press the seam open, leaving the raw edges. Often I think we are overly concerned with seam finishing – sometimes to the detriment of the finished product. Knits don’t ravel so any seam finish here would only add bulk. Many years ago, when Slinky was first introduced in RTW, I bought an expensive black Slinky dress. It looked fantastic on me. It hung and moved like a dream and I wore it to pieces. None of the long skirt seams had been serged. I also recall seeing a Charles Kleibacker (not that I’d ever put myself in his league!) Qiana dress in Threads some years ago – again, unfinished seams. We can learn so much just by looking at expensive RTW clothing!
As I was attaching my string ties to the front panel it occurred to me that, no matter how tightly I tied them, they would constantly droop and show the gathering and stay stitches. I elected to invisibly handsew the ties so that everything would stay put. I hate clothing that requires constant adjustment. You may also have noticed that the seam on the string ties is centered (vs. being on the edge). This was not planned – my fabric naturally wanted to lay this way so I didn’t fight it. I prefer the seam on the edge, I think it looks nicer.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I love to add some embellishment to the ends of my cords. Here I used some hair pipe beads from my stash.
Stay tuned for the final steps (including one that surprised even me!) and finished product.